Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 22, 2011

It's hot, hot. hot !!

Here where I live, the heat wave that has plaqued a large portion of the country came to visit.
Temperatures rose into the high 90', hitting 100 and over in some places.
Humidity added to the discomfort, and I was glad to have air conditioning.
Folks were cranky, with reason, and the oddest thing was come nightfall the roads were empty.
This is Friday night in the Poconos, a region known for it's influx of visitors from NY, NJ, and other states in our country who want to see our trees, enjoy our natural resources, heck maybe see on of our thousands of deer. They come to our water parks, rent kayaks and paddle down the Delaware, and shop our outlet stores, as though the prices were better than their home towns.
I had the occasion to pick up a late night meal for my working teen, and I was stunned, no traffic. The lots around the restaurants were only a third filled, and the highways were, well pretty darn empty for a summer weekend night.
I'm thinking that it is so hot that some are taking the advisories seriously, and staying put in a cool environment if possible. Hello folks it's summer. Now here we have had just two days of steamy summer heat, and folks seem to be hunkered in.
At first the heat really took my stuff right out of me. Today, it's hotter but not as bad. Could I be getting used to these temperatures that causes ones skin to sweat, becoming huge mosquito magnets. I don't know that I can get used to this heat, or I would live in Florida, or Alabama, or Louisiana. Perhaps it's more "accepting" the heat.
It is after all the middle of summer. I know ( even with global warming) that soon it will cool off to more seasonable temperatures, and before we can blink an eye there will be folks complaining of the cold nip in the air.
So it's hot, hot, hot, and will be for a day or so more, but for the most part we will survive hopefully without being rude to a family member or a complete stranger.
We have done this before in our lives. It was hot in our childhoods. Just like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment